Friday, April 11, 2008

Homelessness in Memphis

Dr. Pete Gathje is the director of MANNA House. This is an organization put together to give homeless people a place to hang out, have coffee and some get free clothes and showers. Gathje talked about his organization, some statistics on homelessness, and how no one else cares. I was not aware of how many homeless people there are in Memphis. I see a few on streets every once in a while but really had no clue it was such a problem. He explained that many people that are homeless are working but do not make enough to have a house and support their needs. I always think of homeless people to be bums that just are lazy and do not want to try. I know there are some out there but I do believe he was right that there are others that are trying hard but just can’t make the kind of money needed. I do feel he was right in saying it all depends on where you are from and if your family has money. It would be hard for someone to start from nothing and become successful in this world. Some have done it but it really is hard.

No comments: